Friday, December 26, 2008

Acer Aspire 4315 on Ubuntu 8.10 / Intrepid Ibex

I did an upgrade for the Acer 4315 from Hardy to Intrepid. There where a couple of issues, its similar to Hardy that I had to install the madwifi-ng driver for the Atheros wireless card to run. Its a bit easier now as they are now included on the backports.

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-intrepid

Add ath5k on /etc/modules, reboot.

Then you need to switch the drivers on System->Administration->Hardware Drivers. Deactive the current default driver (Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards) and activate the 5xxx series of Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards.

I also encountered a new problem in Skype. It seems my Logitech S 5500 mic is very choppy, the mic is connected via USB. I didn't have time to fix it, so I just activated the mic of the laptop which works with Intrepid. This is likely a software problem, as the S 5500 works fine with the HP 6910p on Intrepid.

No comments: