Tuesday, June 5, 2007

And the winner is.... Ubuntu

I installed Fedora 7, I found it not as appealing anymore as in the olden days. It seems Ubuntu 7,04 is more polished, also Automatix has swayed me in favor of Ubuntu. I have used Automatix for my work PC and my mom's, it really helps a lot. Before Ubuntu and Automatix I did most of customization before, I even had a short text file and some customs rpms before.

So far Ubuntu on my HP DV6000 is working pretty well. Despite having a Broadcom wireless card, which I thought will force me to use ndiswrapper or extract/hunt a firmware... but Ubuntu worked well.

My wireless is a (from lspci) "Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)". All I did was to install the bcm43xx-fwcutter and told the script to search and download the firmware. Using the command below:

sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter

I am still working on Suspend 2. It seems the binary nvidia drivers can't unload properly. The "nv" driver drive the Geforce go 7400 in 24 bit, it keeps on using 16 bit.

No comments: